Send us your comments, complaints and compliments

Sandwell Children’s Trust Privacy Policy

Why does the Trust process personal information?

The Trust may collect personal information for the following purposes:

  • To provide information, advice, guidance and social care to children, young persons, parents, guardians and families
  • For the safeguarding and welfare of children
  • To help the Trust improve and promote the services we offer
  • To comply with applicable laws and regulations
  • To maintain accounts and records
  • For processing job applications, and managing employees and support workers
  • Personal information may be captured on CCTV if you visit our office location
  • Studying trend and contributing to research that will benefit our service users
  • Identity checks
Personal Information Trust process

Here you will find a list of personal information we collect.

Some of these are classified as personal information. Others are classified as special category personal information, which implies they are more sensitive and require a higher degree of confidentiality and protection.

  • Name and title
  • Physical address and email address
  • Mobile and telephone numbers
  • Financial and economic data
  • Gender, Date of Birth, Place of Birth and Age
  • Sexuality and marital status
  • Health records
  • Criminal convictions, record of allegations and other law enforcement information
  • Education, academic and home schooling information
  • Religious, political or philosophical information
  • Genetic and Biometric information
  • Employment information
  • Family relationships
  • Audio, video, CCTV and still photograph images
How the Trust processes personal information

The Trust may collect personal information directly from you through:

  • Electronic or paper forms
  • Email or letter correspondence
  • Documents and records you share with us
  • During in-person, telephone or virtual interviews
  • When you visit our office location

Your personal information may also be collected indirectly through:

  • Specialist partner organisations. For example child adoption agencies
  • Local authorities
  • Law enforcement services
  • Educational institutions
  • The NHS
  • A General Practitioner (GP)

Data Protection Impact Assessment

The Trust has published it’s Data Protection Impact Assessment which you can download by clicking the link here: Data Protection Impact Assessment Summary Table

The Trust lawful basis for using personal information

Before we process personal information, we must stand on a valid legal footing. These legal footings are called Lawful Basis. A valid lawful basis will be required for processing personal information or special category personal information as the case may be.

Our Lawful Basis for processing Personal Information

  • Where you give us Consent
  • Where we have to process personal information to comply with a legal obligation in which you are the subject
  • Where we have to protect your vital interests or the interests of another living person
  • Where we have to act in the public interest or in exercising our official authority as a Children’s Trust

Our Lawful Basis for processing Special Category Personal Information

  • Where you give us explicit Consent
  • When we provide social protection and welfare for you and others
  • To protect your vital interests or the interests of another living person
  • Where we have to establish or defend legal claims or when a competent Court gives us an order
  • Where is significant public interest in processing the personal information
  • For assessing someone’s working capacity and facilitating the provision of social care
  • For facilitating scientific and historical research and statistical purposes
Retention period for personal information

The Schedule is intended to cover the lifecycle of records and information from creation through to destruction or permanent
preservation. Records intended for destruction under the Schedule may be destroyed in accordance with the provisions of the
Schedule. Click here to read

Who may receive personal information from the Trust and why?

To ensure we can provide you with the best possible service, we may have to share personal information with partner organisations and public authorities. Here is a comprehensive list of them.

Public Authorities we Share Personal Information with

  • The Cabinet Office, with Members of Parliament and other Elected Representatives
  • The Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (Ofsted)
  • Police Forces and the Fire Service
  • The National Health Service and General Practitioner Services
  • Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs and the Department for Work and Pensions
  • Local Authorities
  • Some Schools and Educational establishments
  • The Home Office
  • The Disclosure and Barring Service
  • Members of Parliament and other Elected Representatives
  • The Courts and the Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service
  • The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
  • Other Public Authorities and Government Departments

Other Non-Public Authority Organisations we Share Personal Information with

  • The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC)
  • Citizens Advice
  • Child Adoption Services
  • Legal Practices
  • Interpreting Services
  • Other Specialist Service Provider and Partner organisations
Sandwell Children's Trust service structure

Know your personal information rights

The Right to be Informed

You have the right to be told what, why and how the Trust use your personal information. This Privacy Notice communicates to the public, the right to be informed.

The Right of Access

You have the right to know what personal information we hold about you. We will normally process your right of access within one calendar month, depending on the scope, complexity and volume involved. Not to worry, we will always keep you informed. 

The Right to Rectification

If you have cause to believe the information we hold about you is inaccurate, you have the right to request that we correct it. Of course we will investigate and determine the validity of your claim and if we uphold it, we will correct it without delay.

The Right to Erasure

Where the purpose for processing your personal information has lapsed, you may have the right to request that we securely dispose of it. Not all records are subject to this right. Whatever the case may be, we will provide you with an explanation.

The Right to Restrict Processing

In certain circumstances, you have the right to request that we limit the use of your personal information. We will usually carry out an investigation to determine whether your claim is valid or not. During this period, we will keep you updated about our investigation and eventually our conclusion.

The Right to Data Portability

Sometimes you may be able to request that your personal information be securely and electronically passed on to another organisation, to ease transition of a service.

The Right of Object

You may have cause to disapprove of certain uses for your personal information. For example where you consider the processing not to be aligned with the original purpose for which it was collected, for direct marketing or for research. You can ask us to stop processing and we will respect your wishes where the objection is valid.

The Right to Object to Automated Processing

Where your personal information is automatically manipulated by computers without human intervention, and the result has an impact on decisions we make about you, you have the right to request that this process be manually conducted. 

The Right to Withdraw Consent

Where it is established that the lawful basis for processing your personal information is consent or explicit consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.

For administrative purposes, when you exercise any of your rights, we refer to the process as a Subject Access Request (SAR). Although we encourage you to make your request in writing, you do not have to. You can make your request verbally and in person.

Access Procedure

If your personal information is under the Trust’s control, 99% of the time you will have the right of access.

To exercise your right of access, please follow the steps below:

  1. Decide what records you seek. For example, supervision, review or assessment records
  2. As much as possible, be specific about the timeframe. For example, the last one year or 2010 – 2015
  3. Note the service and Trust officers involved, if you have that information. This is not essential requirement
  4. Check that you are eligible to make a valid request
  5. Complete the Subject Access Request (SAR) form which you can download by clicking here.
  6. Forward the completed SAR form to us at
All about cookies

Cookies are small pieces of text sent to your browser by a website that you visit. They help that website remember information about your visit, which can both make it easier to visit the site again and make the site more useful to you. Other technologies, including unique identifiers used to identify a browser, app or device, pixels and local storage, can also be used for these purposes. 

Please refer to Google technologies for in depth information:

Our Supervisory Authority

Here at the Sandwell Children’s Trust, we have a high ranking officer whose responsibility is to independently advocate for your information rights. The designation for this individual is Data Protection Officer (DPO). The law grants the occupant of this office, certain powers to make independent assessment for your information rights. It is advised that you contact the Trust’s DPO, to give them an opportunity to review your case, before making any complaint to the ICO.

The Information Governance team at the Trust answer to the DPO.

You can contact the DPO directly at:

Office of the DPO

Sandwell Council House
Freeth Street
B69 3DE


The Information Commissioner Office (ICO) is our Supervisory Authority for Information Rights. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the ICO if you feel we have infringed your right of access.

You can contact the ICO at:

Information Commissioner’s Office

Wycliffe House
Water Lane